My trip to CPT – Nandos Creative exchange flew Joburg reporters for a showcase of the art that’s going to be in their restaurants for the year 2020.
- The programme helps develop artists careers by mentoring and giving exhibition opportunities.
- Started in 2001 nurturing and creating access to art and showcasing their creativity. For that, they partnered with Spier Arts Trust and AVA gallery to run exhibitions throughout the year.
- Today the Nandos body of work is more than 21 300 original works by contemporary Southern African artists & showcases in Nandos restaurants globally.
Top headlines of the year: A look back at 2019!
Trevor Noah & Burnaboy nominated for Grammy awards!
Bonang: Coming to America – her press stop at The Breakfast Club.
That very same month:
- Black Coffee and Ehle Mbali announced calling it quits.
- Trevor also won the Pencil of Promise Activism award for the work he does on Trevor Noah foundation.
- Queen of firsts Bonang Matheba wins African Influencer at E! Peoples Choice Awards.
- Sho Magdjozi Meets John Cena.
BLACK COFFEE to appear on Comedy Centrals’ The Daily Show with TREVOR NOAH
Charlie’s Angels Reboot!
Maps Maponyane Bares Buns Out?!
During the course of that month:
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott split: announced as not a “firm split” think Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow’s “conscious uncoupling”
- Somizi and Mohale got married.
- The Royal couple finished off their tour by meeting the president.
Terry Pheto wins another international award!
September was a gloomy month in its entirety:
- Thami Shobede passes away, a nation mournes a legend in his own right!
- Uyinene Mrwetyana, there was looting in the city, coupled with a bit of black on black crime it spiralled to a lot.
- Nasty C released his latest collaboration with Axe which I found a bit problematic, but that flew.
Steve Harvey brings Family Feud to South Africa!
Katy Perry involved in a rookie scandal!
- Being Bonang S4 curtain call?
- AKA continues to make big career moves – speaking at the Loeries this year about urban culture: specifically how brands can fit in and stand out.
Beyonce ruined my childhood movie & I’m Upset!
That month the Lion King flopped:
- when I wrote the post the Lion King was at 52% on Rotten Tomatoes. As the post went live it was at 53%
- Busiswa and Moonchild Sanelly Collaborate on the Lion King soundtrack and the country is ecstatic!
- #SimplySincerlyYours, Enhle Mbali Partners with Touch HD for a bi-monthly podcast.
Trevor Noah is Hollywood Reporters’ Busiest man in comedy!
- TK and Nhlanhla Nciza separate amicably
- Carmel Fischer to star in a Lifetime movie alongside Vivica a Fox:
Charlize Theron on raising two daughters!
That weeks’ mentionables:
- J’Something started a cooking channel.
- Adele’s new album is currently in production because she announced her split from Simon Konecki.
- Caster Semenya when the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld the IAAF regulations which require women like Semenya, with higher than average natural female testosterone levels, to take medically-prescribed drugs to lower their testosterone levels or be kicked out of competitions.
Caster Semenya is in TIMEs 100 most influential people!
That very same week:
- Thuso Mbedu moves overseas: she announced that she will be starring in an Amazon Original series called the Underground Railroad. She’s the lead!
- Wendy Williams moves on: She (finally) filed for divorce from Kevin Hunter last week after 21 years of marriage.
Thando Hopa graces the cover of Vogue Portugal
- Black Coffee and David Guetta win: the Clubbing TV award for the Best Going Deep Music Video
- Sponsors pull out after Steve Hoffmeyer controversy:
AKA bags Nickelodeons Kids Choice award!
I think he’s the 1st Rapper or SA rapper to get one (not sure)
- Bonang and J Something enter the beverages industry. They both launched their alcoholic brands: House of BNG and Jin Gin!
- Jussie Smollett attack – he pleaded not guilty.
Burberry called out for glamourising suicide!
- Brenda Ngxoli stood by her truth: sexual assault she experienced on set.
Cardi makes herstory, B’again when she was announced as a Grammy winner for Best Rap Album.
- Sophie “Queen Moroka” Lechaba returns to TV.
- Chad Da Don and Kelly Kumalo were coy about the relationship we didn’t believe! They have since broken up!
Khanya Mkangisa pulls a Lindsay Lohan
- DJ Zinhle unphased by public opinion when it comes to her life.